Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A "Wild" review


All you guys who have read my blog for quite some time, by now, should have figured that I have one of the weirdest of tastes when it comes to movies. Whenever you hear me speaking about movies, it is highly probable that you would have never heard the movies I would have watched. And my reviews – always over the top. But hey, let me tell you - see the brighter side of things!

So, here’s another movie, which in most probability, you would not have heard of – “Into the Wild”. The reason I watched this? Well, I had 2 and a half hour to burn and none in my movie collection lasted that long. So, this was my only choice. It was only when the credits rolled out; I got to know the hero – Emile Hirsh. The director is Sean Penn (the same guy who won the best actor Oscar this time). The movie – I would not recommend it to anyone. Its lengthy, it’s preachy, it’s boring sometimes and insane some other times. But, I have to rent my suffering on you guys too. So, here I’m with the review.

The movie starts off with our hero graduating. He has plans of pursuing a career in law (or so we are told). As the movie progresses, we come to know that the hero is being a witness to quarrels between his parents. Both he and his sister grow up under the shadow of this domestic violence. So, soon after he graduates, he pretends to study at Harvard, but instead, hitch hikes to places where he can find freedom and happiness. He goes places, meets strange people, and opens himself to new adventures. He leaves behind a long lasting impression on the people he meets. In his quest to find happiness, he decides to try Alaska. He sets up his camp in an abandoned bus. He learns to endure the intense climate and leads his life all alone. Things don’t always end up as expected, no exceptions here too. The movie ends on a tragic note.

This movie is not that bad as I had sounded earlier. Once you start to think in the same lines as the hero, the movie becomes interesting. The movie has very tender moments, like the one scene where he hunts down a moose, and finds out he couldn’t have anything from it or the scene in which one of the characters requests him to be adopted. The movie’s ending is quiet fabulous. The message which he leaves as the result of his quest of happiness left me in awe. The acting is top notch. Along with the wonderful vibes the director creates and the awesome photography, the narrative and the music score is what pulls out a smile on you at certain parts of the movie. If you think you are open to some preaching and think you have the patience, “Into the Wild” is your movie.

Rating: 3.5 on 5

1 comment:

Pacchu gaadu....... said...

Hi Bharath...,
Im here again..

I just checked out the details about the movie you reviewed and I came to know that it has been nominated for Oscars. The one sentence in your review saying that if yiu start thinking from hrro's perspective, then the movie becomes interesting!! If it happens to every movie buff, every time..., then every RGV-film would probably come out with a positive feedback...!!