Saturday, April 25, 2009

Give way for the responsible citizen...


You’ve heard me complaining, pointing my fingers at the roadblocks, diversions, traffic, corruption, politicians... (Well, not all of them, I agree...). But know what, I am officially licensed to do those now. How, you ask? Look at my finger in the photo, I voted!

After all the Jaago re campaign and the great list of candidates, I would say I was motivated. Moreover, there were some campaigners who had given out my electoral details like the polling booth number and serial number and stuff like that, which helped me avoid the long queues of searching for names in the finalised list.

I was through with the enthusiasm of writing this post and almost saw it through. But seeing at the voter turnout, I was shocked. My constituency, Bangalore South had a voter turnout of just over 44%. Well, I was balled over the indifference that the voters managed to show. I agree there were a certain number of voters whose names went out missing in the final list, but a 56% no show is a real shame. Constituency like mine had such credible candidates and we fail to vote, it’s a disgrace. Ananth Kumar, Krishna Byregowda, Prof. Radhakrishna, Capt. Gopinath, Vatal Nagaraj are a few names and I bet any elected MP could be seen or heard in the Parliament.

So all those who feel ‘I love democracy but hate voting to the politicians’, stop complaining. You don’t have the right. The right now rests with the able and responsible citizens like me.

2 comments:

Bharath said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
prasanna said...

hi Bharath...

I'm also joining hands with you now.I agree that those who always rattle for hours about democracy without utilising their powerful weapon- the vote..., here is the right advice.

This was for the second time I voted at Hanumanthnagar.But this time,unlike last year,I could hardly find people voting at the centres(Of course,I was a bit late in the day,at around 3.30)But in a constituency like Basavanagudi,I never expected "empty" booths like this one.

Last time,I had voted for a candidate from a local party,but (un)fortunately he lost...!! So this time, I just changed my choice as I do in selecting a jeans brand. Really, I don't find any difference at all,among the candidates, even among the parties,to be frank. All are the same!Everyone defends himself by pointing and complaining at someone else...
My garandpa always used to admit that the definition of the word democracy has been changed by today's political scenario.It says "Democracy is to BUY the people,FAR the people and is OFF the people".


anyhow....,it is impossible bring back the original meaning of democracy only by both of us.So.....


BYE.....:)