Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Being on the moon...


Every Indian nowadays, after the announcement of the Chandrayaan mission, seems to be on the moon – all excited and thrilled. Yeah, I agree, its a great accomplishment in the space race and it requires a great deal from our scientists to carry through such an extravagant feat. But, sarcastic as I am, would like to take the sheen off it.
Being an ordinary citizen, the first thing I would like to ask is how is this going to affect me? Well, I wouldn’t care if it were some defense strategies (with great neighbors like Pak or China, who needs enemies, right?) or some investment in some technology and stuff like these. But what we dealing here is $86 million. Yup, a whopping $86 million. What I have read so far is that the mission would enable to map the moon’s resource allocation. Leave moon, I am unable to get to the resources here on earth. I also read, the scientists are trying to find Helium-3. Rare in the earth. This would be the bare necessity, provided nuclear fusion were to be feasible. Contemporary to India’s Chandrayaan is the Chinese Chang-é. The Chinese have spent a mind-boggling $169 million. One of their interests – Helium-3, the same that our scientists are after! We are taking our relations with China to the next level - the Moon.
With these thoughts, I am rooted to the TV, hoping the mission is a success. After all, I too am an Indian and feel proud in India's stand-up achievement in the space race, dominated by USA, Russia and the European countries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a cool thought..The picture that u have attached is fantastic..