Saturday, February 14, 2009

Review: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button


It had been a while since I reviewed a movie, don’t you think? So, here I am… In fact, It has been a while, since I saw one, which I felt like giving an opinion about. This one blew me away. It’s called, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”

Ever since I heard the movie’s weird plot, I was attracted to it. It is unique and is unlike any I had heard before. Any dissimilar story line is what I look at, in movies. The combination of genres: fantasy, drama and romance, is my favorite. I’ve loved movies like Forrest Gump and Stardust. It is always refreshing to watch them.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Taraji P.Henson and Tilda Swinton amongst the cast. Directed by David Fincher, this is easily his masterpiece. I have watched Zodiac, Panic Room, Fight Club and Se7en. Clearly, this is his stand out performance as a director. Brad Pitt has always been a star, whose movies, I jumped to see. The Oceans series, Se7en, Twelve Monkeys, Fight Club, Snatch, Troy; they all find places if I ever make a list of 50 great movies I have ever seen. Cate Blanchett is also a great actress I hear. Haven’t had the opportunities to check that though. Till now.

The plot, the strangest I had heard: A man (Pitt) is born in his 80s on the day when the First World War ended. He ages backwards! Ain’t that an intriguing plot line? The movie has much more to offer. Born ugly, Benjamin is abandoned by his father. He is brought up by Queenie (Taraji) in an old age home which she runs. Daisy (Blanchett) is a granddaughter of one of the resident. Even as Benjamin is aging backwards, he seems to lead a normal life. His and Daisy’s life keep intersecting. Rest of the plot, its better watched than said.

The positives are many to speak of. Let me begin with acting. There’s no better word than splendid. Every character is so near to real life characters. You don’t feel seeing a movie, but watching a real life documentary. The visual effects are great, not over done. After all, the story is from birth to death, you get to see different stages of the character’s lives. So, visual effects had to be top notch. The main complexity behind the film, is keeping the film grounded in reality, while maintaining the undeniable magic within. As a director, you don't want to lose too much of either quality, instead keeping a healthy balance of the two. I feel that Fincher accomplished this perfectly.

But the main stay of the movie is the romance between Benjamin and Daisy. Despite both aging in different directions of time, the chemistry they share is what keeps you rooted to your seats. The dialogues are awesome and very intriguing. Even when you’d have finished watching the movie, I bet you will be wondering about the movie. It is one of very few movies which does not spoon feed you with emotions. It speaks about life and moments that go by and how we cherish them. Losing loved ones is a part of life, which is an inherent part of our lives and there is no escape from that. The movie tag line is more than meaningful: Life isn't measured in minutes, but in moments. Truly, this is a movie which comes by very rarely. Do watch it, it would sweep your feet from the ground (I’m saying that, hoping that you have loved movies like Forrest Gump). Definitely this movie deserves the 13 Oscar nominations.

Rating: 5 on 5.

No comments: