Saturday, January 10, 2009

What kept me busy: Part 1, Books


Some pretty good things I am into this vacation. One of them, getting into one of my favorite pastime, reading. Before you jump into any conclusions, I’ll get that straight. Novels. The latest one, Stephanie Meyer’s much hyped “Twilight”. I guess you’ve heard about the movie of the same name released just a couple of months ago…

When the author describes the characters, it’s more than essential to get into the descriptions and picture them for yourself. For me, this is the most quintessential part in reading the novel (of course, next to the story). The problem was, I had watched the movie’s trailer even before I had laid my hands on the book itself. So, whatever the descriptions, I could only think about the actors who acted in the movie. But strangely, the there was a stark difference in the descriptions and the actors…

Coming to the book: The story is about vampires. One of the vampires, Edward falls for Bella. The girl too, falls in love with him, not being sure about what he is, a superhuman perhaps. She gets her doubts cleared and yet, she isn’t afraid to be with him. Even when she knows they drink blood to survive, she hangs around.

The story grows, slowly though. I feel the whole genre, vampires, is pretty dull. Add to that a slow moving love story, it becomes even duller. The whole book is a buildup. It is centered on the two main characters, Edward and Bella. The author takes great care to accentuate the chemistry between them. But ironically, it starts to get on your nerves. But the novel has its strong points, which makes the book a good read. The story is basically a narration from the leading lady’s point of view. The recital is witty. The conversations don’t run dry. There’s humor in every conversation which makes it a good page turner. There are not too many facts, as in a murder mystery. So, it is a light read. All you need to do is to enjoy the scenario…

If you get a chance to get hold of a copy of this, do find the time and read once. Even if you end up not liking, you would have enjoyed while reading. After reading the book, I just watched the trailer. As a matter of fact, the movie doesn’t seem nice. It’s a difficult adaptation though. Guess I’ll wait sometime for the movie…

No comments: